Sunday 7 June 2009

Uh-oh

Sunday morning run: hail, rain, wind, hills.

But that was the good part.

The bad part came after going up for 3.5km and returning to come down. These are share ascents/descents. The last 1km of the rise probably hits 20% in parts.

Going up was fine -- hard, but fine.

But withing about 100m of opening up on the way down, I felt pain in my right knee. I had to stop and get down the hill. On the flat bits when I tried again, it was notably better, but I still had to favour it.

The worst: that I've done some serious damage. (Incidentally, I noticed this problem, less severe, during the exact same point of the descent during my 7km up and down -- different course -- last week; I didn't notice it at all on the flat running in London.)


Possible scenarios


1. That I've injured some kind of cartilage or something and it is serious.

2. That it is a reaction to doing some longer runs without properly building up, and could get more serious or less.

3. That it is some kind of muscle problem around the knee that will resolve with proper rest and slower build on the distance.

4. That is is a small matter that will get better if I avoid hills for a while (difficult around here).


I'm off to do some work with the google to figure it out, but suffice to say it's all a bit depressing.



EDIT: D'OH.

Clasic Runner's Knee, by the sounds of it.

Goodbye hills for a while. Bugger.

No comments:

Post a Comment