Sunday 31 May 2009

Imagine

It makes me wonder what I could really do to a 10k race, especially one so flat.
It was a great day, great course. Woke up well, everything timed perfectly, everything relaxed and chilled, lots of time (but not too much time) to park, arrive and seed myself nicely . . . if I had only trained for this event specifically, I would have nailed it.

1:00:01 / 10k . . . who comes in at 1 second after their max target?

It was quite enjoyable though, just wish I had 5% more in the last 2k. The finish (last 200m) was fantastic. I had planned on pulling the ear buds out for the final run in, but John Lennon and "Imagine" came on. Wonderfully surreal.

Ethan was brilliant. Nice to have someone sharing in the fruit of labour. He booked it, finishing his run in the 5 minute mark, top 20. Then we walked around the grounds, through the runner-only tents, picking up runner swag, medals around our necks. Next year, he says, he's doing a 5k.

1 comment:

  1. Calvin ran the Victoria marathon last year, using an older friend's name, and had to get 3.30 to make the cut off to qualify for Boston (in the older guy's age group).

    He did it in 3.30 and about 5 seconds.

    lol.

    ReplyDelete